Animal Control Info

Emergency Services

An on-call officer is available through 911 for response to the following emergencies on weekends, evenings, and holidays. The Walton County Animal Control Department provides assistance with many emergency situations including:

  • Aggressive Animals: The on-call officer may respond to complaints of highly aggressive or vicious animals creating a public safety threat which have been verified by on-duty law enforcement personnel.
  • Animal Bites: The on-call officer may respond to bite cases in which the bite from a dog, cat or wildlife rabies vector (raccoon, skunk, fox, etc.) has broken the skin of a human victim. The on-call officer may respond to bite cases in which the bite from a wildlife rabies vector has broken the skin of a pet dog or cat. If the biting animal is no longer running at large, the on-call officer may take the bite report over the phone and enforce the quarantine the following business day.
  • Livestock at Large: The on-call officer may respond to complaints of loose livestock on roadways which have been verified by on-duty law enforcement personnel. 
  • Severe Animal Cruelty Situations: The on-call officer may respond to backup requested by Law Enforcement for severe animal cruelty situations which cannot wait until the following business day.
  • Severely sick or injured domestic animals that cannot wait until the following business day. The on-call officer will not assist with owned animals and owner’s must contact an emergency veterinarian. Animal Control Officers generally do not respond to complaints of injured wildlife.

Response Services

Animal Bites

Animal Control responds to complaints in which a rabies vector (i.e., dog, cat, fox, raccoon, skunk, etc.) has bitten and broken the skin. Animals are quarantined or euthanized and tested according to department policy and the GA Rabies Guidelines. Persons bitten by a dog, cat or rabies vector wildlife should call animal control or 911 to report the bite.

Animal Control conducts dangerous/vicious dog investigations under the Georgia Responsible Dog Ownership Law. Owners of dangerous dogs are required to abide by the guidelines contained therein which include annual registration, properly enclosing the dog and posting the property with signs.

Barking Dog Complaints

Walton County Ordinance prohibits the disturbance of the peace by barking animals. Officers may issue warnings and citations to owners of alleged nuisance animals. Barking dog complaints are not handled after-hours or on weekends and holidays. Callers must provide their information and the actual address of the location of the barking dog. The barking dog must be within 200 feet of the complaining party’s property and bark for a period of 30 minutes or more.

Animal Cruelty & Neglect

Animal Control investigates allegations of animal neglect and cruelty. The goal of the Department is to change neglectful owners' behavior through education, warning and, in some cases, citation. In order to establish probable cause, callers must provide their information and the exact address of the offense. Situations involving horses may also be reported to the GA Department of Agriculture's Equine Unit directly at 404-656-3713.

Dead Animals

Animal Control does not pick up dead animals. Disposal of dead animals on private property is the responsibility of the property owner. Animal Control can provide callers a list of companies that may be hired for the removal of dead animals.  The GA D.O.T., Walton County Public Works Department, and public works departments of incorporated cities (i.e., Monroe, Social Circle, Loganville) may remove large animals from highways, roadways and right-of-ways.

Humane Traps

Animal Control possesses a limited number of traps for use in apprehending dogs and cats which are unable to be caught by hand, or run at large outside of regular patrol hours. It is illegal to trap wildlife in Georgia without the proper permits from the GA Department of Natural Resources and traps will not be loaned to citizens for the purpose of trapping wildlife. Animal Control provides trapping services at two different levels:

  • Free Trap Rentals - Animal Control provides traps free of charge to Walton County citizens experiencing stray dog or cat problems or need assistance in catching their own animal. Traps are generally loaned out for a period of one week. It is the responsibility of the trap renter to transport any trapped dog or cat to the animal shelter. Wildlife must be released. Officers do not pick up animals from citizens who have checked out a trap or have trapped an animal in their personal trap.
  • Full Trapping Services - Officers will set traps for stray dogs and cats that frequent a complainant’s property. Traps are rotated throughout the County every two weeks. There is frequently a waiting list ranging from 2 to 8 weeks depending upon time of year. Officers will deliver and set the trap. Residents must monitor and bait the trap and call when a dog or cat is trapped.

Stray Cats

Due to the large numbers of free roaming cats, animal control responds to cats on a complaint only basis. Warnings and citations may be issued to owners of free-roaming cats upon compliant. For a citation, complainants may be required to provide a photograph of the cat at large and be willing to appear in court. Citizens with stray cats and kittens may bring the cats to the shelter. Unfortunately, the majority of cats are euthanized. Humane traps are available to citizens to assist in trapping of stray cats.


Animal Control's primary function is the control of stray dogs and cats and does not regularly respond to nuisance wildlife requests. Officers generally respond only to wildlife bites to a person or pet, and wildlife rabies vectors within the living area of a residence. Animal Control does not respond to complaints of wildlife or snakes in the attic, chimney, crawl space, garage, out-buildings or yards. Orphaned or injured wildlife should be reported to the GA Department of Natural Resources. Injured deer should be reported to 911 for a law enforcement officer or DNR game warden to destroy the animal by means of a firearm.